Friday, July 30, 2010

List Six: The Beatrix Potter Bookshelf


If you remember I have a great fascination for all things Beatrix Potter as evidenced here and here!  One day, hopefully not too too far away, I am going to have a little shelf dedicated to nothing but books by and about Miss Beatrix Potter.  This amazing woman who created Peter Rabbit, Squirrel Nutkin, Miss Tiggy-Winkle and Jemima Puddle-Duck deserves a shelf all to herself I think.  Every nursury should include at least one of Potter's "little books" so if you have a little one and don't have a Beatrix Potter book I implore you to run out and get one as quickly as you can.

My love of Beatrix Potter's tales first started with The Tale of Peter Rabbit, like most young children.  A beautiful little copy was given to me by my grandparents on the Easter before my second birthday.  That little book is dearly loved as you can see from the photo above.  Yet I hadn't read many of Potter's other tales until I was older and honestly I think I have appreciated them all the more for that reason.  Potter's watercolors are those of a distinguised artist.  She was a student and avid observer of nature and it shines through in her art.

Here are a list of the books I would will be placing on my Beatrix Potter bookshelf:  (Some I have and some are waiting for the shelf to be created first!)

1. The Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter by Beatrix Potter that was given to me as an adult.  I love thumbing through it and reading a story here and there.

2. Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature by Linda Lear.  The defintive biography of Beatrix Potter, highly recommended!

3. My beautifully worn copy of The Tale of Peter Rabbit

4.  The Journal of Beatrix Potter from 1881-1897 by Beatrix Potter

5. The Fairy Caravan by Beatrix Potter.  A forgotten classic written later in Potter's life.

6. Beatrix Potter's Art: Paintings and Drawings edited by Anne Stevenson Hobbs

7. Letters to Children from Beatrix Potter by Judy Taylor


What is your favorite Beatrix Potter tale?  Mine would be The Tale of Peter Rabbit followed by The Tale of Miss Tiggy-Winkle but it's very tough to choose!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write a few brief words to me! Your words touch my heart deeply. Please keep this a kind, warm, loving environment for all. Thank you!