Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Petunia Bookmark

Petunia Bookmark

June was filled with exciting travel so this little guy, using Alicia's headband pattern, was stitched in all sorts of wonderful places.  Time was found on a long flight, during train rides across England, and in the evenings at the B&B's after a long day sightseeing.  You see the travel was so exciting it was hard to embroider for longer than 15 or 30 minutes at most. But each moment stolen to stitch added up to create this beauty.  The lace at the top was gifted to me from my grandma's stash.  It will be fun to see it peeking out from a book. 

Now I am trying to find a book to read.  In all honesty it's been a long time since I've sat down and read a book.  Reading finds it's way into my everyday life but recently it's been only blogs, magazines or home decor books.   The Wind and the Willows and Watership Down both made it home with me on recent trips to the bookstore.  Have you read either of these?  I'm looking for a book to get swept up in, one that you don't want to put down but also a classic title.  Any ideas for me?

Also did you hear about Borders closing it's stores?  This made me sad as I worked at a store in Colorado on and off for three years in college.  I loved it.  There was/is something about the smell of the books.  Helping customers find that one book, you know that one with the red cover by that one guy, was like a treasure hunt.  Working in the children's department meant I was able to watch the joy kids got at learning to read, and share with them my favorite childhood stories. When I first moved here I would go into local Borders store almost daily just to be amongst the books and have a piece of home with me somehow.  I knew the place and all it's little secrets to hunting down titles. Hopefully another bookstore will find it's way into that space otherwise it will be a great loss. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I didn't really need a headband, but now you've got me thinking a bookmark is in order.

    I love your colors, and what a great souvenir from your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read Dangerous Liaisons? It's an epistolary novel, but definitely a page turner.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write a few brief words to me! Your words touch my heart deeply. Please keep this a kind, warm, loving environment for all. Thank you!