Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's an experiment!



After some unexpected health care bills, over spending our bathroom remodel budget, and other poor planning financial decisions our house is on a much stricter grocery budget. Last week I was quite impressed with the meals I created for under $10 and sometimes even under $5!

I had some lovely dinosaur kale on hand that needed to be used. A little pondering over how to use it, besides the usual way I prepare it, steamed, I came up with sauteing it with some onions and a clove of garlic. Pretty simple but effectively delicious. Quinoa has been brought up many times by friends as being a good alternative to rice and wheat. It served as a great grain in our meal. Next stop, protein. Chickpeas, garbanzo beans which is it people? I get so annoyed that these are used interchangeably to the point that I don't actually know if they represent the same little bean. Needless to say I opened a can of garbanzo beans and served it cold. My husband had the ingenious idea of adding a little ground cumin and garlic salt to the dish at the table.

Overall I was impressed with my little experiment!

Garbanzo beans, kale and onions served over Quinoa
Serves 2
1 cup quinoa
1 ½ cups water
1 medium onion
4-5 leafs of kale
1 clove garlic
Olive oil
1 can of garbanzo beans
Ground cumin and garlic salt to taste

Rinse, drain, and cover quinoa with water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook covered for 10-15 minutes. Let rest for a few minutes, fluff with fork before serving.

While the quinoa is cooking chop the onions, kale, and garlic. Saute onions and garlic over medium heat in olive oil for 3-5 minutes. Add kale and cook for additional 3 minutes or so.

We served our quinoa on the bottom, then layered the kale and onions, with garbanzo beans on top and sprinkled with ground cumin.

Total cost of meal: $4.56 for two people

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... maybe I should try something like this. Seems simple enough, and affordable. I have never bought kale before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually had a little Quinoa leftover. So for your family, depending on how much the kids eat, would need ~1 1/2 cups probably. Try it and let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write a few brief words to me! Your words touch my heart deeply. Please keep this a kind, warm, loving environment for all. Thank you!