Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Jane Eyre


The first time I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte was about ten years ago. I remember being so angry with Mr. Rochester and Jane about half way through the book, when Jane leaves Thornfield, that I shoved the book under the couch and refused to read it for over a week. This time however was different.

In my maturity I held a new appreciation for both these characters and understood their actions. The passion Jane and Mr. Rochester have for each other touched me deeply. The ending is so sweet and lovely. Yet what struck me this time through is that I kept expecting Jane to cower in the corner, to succumb to her circumstances but she doesn't. Jane remains obedient, gentle, but still strong and independent. When Jane is facing heartbreak, loss she shows triumph...

"Who in the world cares for you?... I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself."

Jane Eyre goes on the shelf as one of my all time favorite books. One to be read again and again.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this book. Guess I'll have to, sounds good. Also the book in your current reading looks good too. Thanks for the cook book! I made Indian Spiced Chickpeas last night, yummy. I actually had leftovers tonight (boys had good old fish sticks), I think they are better on day 2. But it was fairly easy and it only cost like $5 for the whole meal for all. Well I did have all the spices on hand. But thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write a few brief words to me! Your words touch my heart deeply. Please keep this a kind, warm, loving environment for all. Thank you!