Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Memory Walk

Last weekend I traveled to Colorado to participate in the Alzheimer's Memory Walk.  The walk was held in City Park right next to the Denver Museum of Nature and Science


The morning was crisp and cool, perfect for walking. 


I walked in honor of my Papa, Jack, who has been suffering with Alzheimer's from many years.  He has such a sweet spirit.  Alzheimer's reveals the deepest character of a person and I am in awe of his.


 Papa greets everyone with a smile and warm hello.  He offers you a little chuckle in a form of a simple joke.  (Unfortunately as the disease progresses these jokes become harder to come by.)  Humor is ingrained deeply, along with the music and the appreciation of the beauty of the day at hand. 

My Uncle getting a ride. (He's a jokester, wonder where he gets it!)
Margery, his wife and my grandma, is never far from his thoughts.  His love for her overflows.  Sometimes I question weather he remembers my name but I never have to question his love for his family.


My hope is that one day, somehow we can find a cure for this horrible, destructive disease.  No one should have to lose themselves or their loved ones so slowly, painfully, bit by bit, memory by memory.

If you like to learn more about Alzheimer's Association visit their website here.  Or if you're interested in finding a Memory Walk near you head here.

(Once again I forget my camera and am forced to use only my iPhone to capture the events.  That little phone of mine is a work horse!  Sorry I know the quality could be better.)

6 comments:

  1. I needed to suddenly find something online and just saw this in my feeds. What a beautiful tribute to your Papa, so much love and humor in this post (I got a bit emotional). Alzheimer's is indeed a horrible disease, a good friend's Grandma had it and I saw what it was like for her - I too hope there's a cure one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! That is so awesome that your family did that together! I know exactly where that is, as I'm in Denver now! That's about 15 minutes from us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This disease breaks my heart. Losing memory seems so difficult. Your Papa seems like a wonderful man and to be handling it as best he can. Hopefully a cure will be found soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this very special post. I lost my Mom just about 10 years ago to Alzheimer's. The last 5 years of her life were unimaginable as she lost recognition of everyone around her. In the end, she only had memory of but one thing...her very favorite candy, a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup. All she had to see was the orange wrapper, and what was left of the expression in her face, would absolutely light up. Thank you again, so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so very hard. and such a good thing to do.

    thanks so much for your sweet note.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a worthwhile cause and fantastic that you participated!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write a few brief words to me! Your words touch my heart deeply. Please keep this a kind, warm, loving environment for all. Thank you!