Friday, December 10, 2010

Community

Daisy and her chippy!

A few days ago the writing prompt for #Reverb 10 was Community.  I desperately wanted to write about it that day but this little precious one kept me pretty busy!

Here is the full prompt:

Community.  Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise in 2010?  What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?

The first spring in our PNW home 2008.

In 2010 for me there have been many communities of varying kinds.  They have built up around me without much thought or effort unlike the first year of moving here.  When we moved to the Pacific Northwest in 2007 it was a constant effort to build a new community, find new friends, new activities.  It felt an awful lot like the horrible dating process or clothes shopping.  Trying things on, trying out new people to see which ones really fit the best. But now living here for three years the community I've created is thriving and lively.  I've even found ways to reconnect with my old community back home in Colorado!



My online community has grown in 2010.  First I began commenting more on other blogs that I really enjoyed.  Not surprisingly many of them commented back!  The online community that I've stumbled into has been very kind and encouraging.  In August I participated in Susannah's August Break and while I didn't participated every day like I had wanted it was fun to be part of a fun little project like that.  In this group I met some lovely ladies, Jude and Lisa in particular.  These two ladies have become faithful commenters which only keeps me excited to write and share with you each day.  Others I "met" stretched my thoughts about photography and made me gasp at the simple beauty they created.   In particular, this one, this one, and this one.

In the year ahead I hope to stretch my online community by hosting the Embroidery Companion Sew Along and perhaps participating in a online sewing swap or two.  PS. There is still time to comment to win the Embroidery Companion book.  Comments will close on Sunday at 8pm PT.

The Gingerbread House Decorating Contest entry by me, Shay, Susan and little J
My community otherwise: My community has grown to include a group of lovely women who support one another in faith and fun.  We shared a Bible study on friendship this summer and we hope to keep the group together with another study this winter.  Once a month many of us gather for a regular Mexican train domino night with appetizers and dessert.  There is always much trash talk of who is going to win the night and to be honest I usually win!  So look out ladies I'll be there in January!  The past two Christmas we've held a Gingerbread House Decorating Contest.  Here is my entry from this year.  Much better than last year in which we won the "habitat for humanity" award.  (A gentle way of saying it was rickety and barely standing!)



Then there is my dance community.  Nia has been a great home for me since I left my dance group back in Denver.  It has provided me not only with physical exercise but an emotional outlet.  Bonus:  the people I dance with are fun and silly just like me!  (Up there is a little promo video my Nia teacher and dear friend, Pauline, did of class.  Can you pick me out?)

Goofing off at Thanksgiving

My husband and I have been able to establish a little second family here.  Those friends that we go camping with, celebrate holidays together, and generally are there for each other to help out when needed.  This year in 2010 was the first time the group felt solid and really there to support one another and most like extended family.


Finally I've also been able to reconnect some with my Colorado community this year.  My friend Liz and I have been faithful in having weekly chats on Wednesdays in which to gossip, encourage, and celebrate our friendship.  It is so nice to have our weekly visits.  I can't express how much she lifts my spirits!  Maybe in 2011 we can plan another girls' trip like this one of us in San Francisco.

Somehow I also managed to become the coordinator of a somewhat monthly book club done via Skype with my mom, sister, mother-in-law, and two cousins.  We expanded our group last month with the inclusion of my aunt.  Each member has gotten to chose a book and we find questions to ask for discussion.  Most of the time we are able to stay on topic but it is fun to have something fun and silly to share with my family.  So far we've read Winter's GardenThe 19th Wife, The Film Club, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and most recently The Help.  Our meeting for Christmas is Guernsey style with each member reading a Christmas story of their own choosing to share with the group.  I found a fun old copy of Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol that I hope I can read in time and I picked up a book titled An Amish Christmas which look intriguing.  Hopefully 2011 will be filled with more reading, enlightening discussion, and fun family time.


Hope you have a great weekend surrounded by community spirit!

4 comments:

  1. Daisy is so, so cute! (I've a thing about dogs :)) How old is she now? This is a lovely tribute to the power of human connection, whether in the flesh or online and through many activities - so sweet of you to mention me, I'm flattered!

    I've also been seeking new footing in a new community. Meantime, I've been in awe of the amazing people and talent I've met online via blogging & August Break, inc. you! Hope your wkd is a relaxing one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, and thank you so much for your kind words. Although I've said it before...I am so in love with Daisy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of your books here are some of my favorites. I loved the Help.Hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very nice post about community. It made me remember and appreciate some of the communities I have.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you sincerely for taking the time to write a few brief words to me! Your words touch my heart deeply. Please keep this a kind, warm, loving environment for all. Thank you!